Fwd: RC: Backyard stallions

guest@endurance.net writes:

<< Opinions on what constitutes "the wrong thing" differ. Fad breeding
 annoys hell out of me, but I know enough to know I ain't going
 to stop it. My little "backyard  stallion" is correct,
  straight Davenport, kind, willing, and has absolutely no
 show record to speak of, nor does he have anywhere *near* the
 effect on the gene pool that some highly promoted won at Scottsdale
 and the Buckeye creature does.
 Amen there! Don't see too many 'backyard stallions' overpopulating, skewing
the gene pool, or creating hundreds of get with conformational problems - I
guess one of the blessings of the high cost of advertising - the little guys,
many of whom are well versed, many who are not, simply can't brign in the
numbers to bred the living snot out of their stallion. So far I haven't MET a
stallion who deserved to personally 'be so fruitful and multiply and
replenish the earth'.

  > We look for outstanding Pedigree, incredible disposition, floating and
free movement, stunning beauty, flawless conformation,
 history, Showing record,
and so WHY would show record prove anything, I have always wondered. Our
horses DO have good show records, but most of all they have the personal
qualities that earned them the modest successes. Of course, flawless
conformation these days in the show ring amounts to a croup so flat you can
serve tea on it - not too good for a horse meant to actually go DO something,
and so not a criteria for us. Unfortunately, a big show record means nothing
to us except that it is currently fashionable, because so few of these horses
have actually DONE anything.
foaling crop to suitable mares,
suitable mares? I would hope to think that this would include most good
mares, conformationally above average, with good temperaments, straight legs,
etc - which is not too difficult to improve on, the inference being that ONLY
suitable mares AND stallions should EVER be bred.
and so much more.And most of all  that your mare would fit well with the
 stud. And people spend the time to advertise their stud the right way, and
take quality photos when there horse looks the best and not a
 pasture picture of a stained dirty shaggy little shetland pony looking
Pinto.

 This was really comical to me since we just bought the darling little mare
for my daughter - shaggy and with her mama's belly, just having weaned her
first colt - and if we had not been able or willing ot look past those things
our daughetr would not now be riding a sleek, glossy, healthy and exceedingly
fit and talented bay mare! Is she a halter or EP candidate? Nope. Is she a
classic example of Arabian quality? Absolutely. Is she breeding quality? Only
if there is a need for her athletic, well-adjusted foal - to someone who can
appreciate those things. But just breeding to reproduce? Not here!
 So, they didn't hire Scott Trees and a hair stylist. BFD.
 I don't think you can say with any authority at all that this horse is
 or isn't  stallion material. Not from the information provided.
 And show records don't mean a lot to some of us.
 The finest Arabians I know (IMO) are owned by a couple of folks who
 don't show them. I bought my stallion from them, and I just signed
 a contract on a filly.

  > Please tell me I am not alone in this..

 Oh, I'm sure yu're not alone. But I'm not anywhere near you.
 yeah, while we understand here that there ARE too many horses of both
genders and many breeds reproducing at ridiculous rates at the hands of
ignorant people, I would hate the idea that someone who valued a flat croup
over functional movement and beauty (and what is more beautiful than a
balanced, sleek and typey athlete?) would have any say in what constituted
quality and/or what should be bred. MOST people with horses RIDE their horses
- sadly, the most visible and vociferous 'voices' are those of the showing
public, with vast financial backing and perhaps far too much time on thei
hands.

---- Begin included message ----
CMNewell reshan@deyr.ultranet.com
>This really disturbed me.. Please , does anyone feel the way I do about this kind of breeding. It bothers me that these people are
advertising there horse as a stud when he is not stallion quality,

What constitutes "stallion quality" is a matter of opinion in
many cases. I certainly wouldn't make any judgements one way or
 the other based on the website's lousy photos.

 >then  at the same time saying that $50 of th e   booking fee goes to
>rescue horses in need!

Which is probably $50 more than most of the heavily promoted big
bucks stallions out there.

   . Shouldn't we be trying to help the horses that need our help instead of adding to the problem.
   They are nice looking horses, but NOT at all stud quality. There confirmations is far from appealing and their lineage is not very
spectacular either. Just because he is a sweet horse does not mean you should go and breed him. He would make a very suitable
gelding, why they are breeding him is beyond me.

Really? I booked two mares to my stallion last week. The reason
 the mare owners chose him was that not only does he have decent
conformation and throw lovely foals--the main thing these people
were looking for in a stallion was temperament. They plan on raising
the folas as family riding horses.

> We should be saving horses, not breeding crap to add to the
problem.

One man's trash ...

 > I am sorry if this seems harsh but you got me on a very sour
>subject here.

Apparently.

>    . Or that standerdbreds and paints are two completely different breeding type.

Could be a nice cross. Or not. Their choice to make, though, eh?

>it is very unfortanitite that we have people like them breeding
 as they are, and still at the same time claiming they are
rescuing horses.

I saw only a claim that they donate to someone else who rescues.

 >   The person say that the $50 dollar booking fee goes to the
>rescue horses HAHA that sets my nerves on end.

One more time. They likely donate more than some of the big
name well-respected breeders do.

 >We should ONLY be breeding top quality mares to top quality
>studs. And that's it.

I bet your definition and mine aren't the same.
Isn't it nice we live in a country whare we are able to make
our own decisions on that matter and breed what pleases us?

>Do you see  how many
>horses go to the slaughter every year.

Many that come from so called "top quality" stock.

>. Why, because people breed the wrong thing and they RUIN
what was a wonderful breed.

Opinions on what constitutes "the wrong thing" differ. Fad breeding
annoys hell out of me, but I know enough to know I ain't going
to stop it. My little "backyard  stallion" is correct,
 straight Davenport, kind, willing, and has absolutely no
show record to speak of, nor does he have anywhere *near* the
effect on the gene pool that some highly promoted won at Scottsdale
and the Buckeye creature does.

 > We look for outstanding Pedigree, incredible disposition, floating and free movement, stunning beauty, flawless conformation,
history, Showing record, foaling crop to suitable mares, and so much more.And most of all  that your mare would fit well with the
stud. And people spend the time to advertise their stud the right way, and take quality photos when there horse looks the best and not a
pasture picture of a stained dirty shaggy little shetland pony looking Pinto.

So, they didn't hire Scott Trees and a hair stylist. BFD.
I don't think you can say with any authority at all that this horse is
or isn't  stallion material. Not from the information provided.
And show records don't mean a lot to some of us.
The finest Arabians I know (IMO) are owned by a couple of folks who
don't show them. I bought my stallion from them, and I just signed
a contract on a filly.

 > Please tell me I am not alone in this..

Oh, I'm sure yu're not alone. But I'm not anywhere near you.

         --CMNewell

---- End included message ----