Re: RC: LDs and 50's

In a message dated Sat, 6 May 2000  4:00:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Truman Prevatt, Ph.D." <truman.prevatt@netsrq.com> writes:

<< When we ran the FL classic in '96 we had a 50 mile loop. we ran the 25's
into the second vet check. It required two additional vets for 1/2 day
but it worked super well.

The two Goethe's which was run out of a different base camp than the
present ride. The current base camp was the first vet check. We started
all the riders together in a controlled start for the first 1/2 mile
since we had to cross C337 to get into the forest. The 50's cut off and
took a 17 mile trail into the first check and the 25's had a 12 mile
trail into the check. That also worked pretty well in keeping them
spread out. The nice thing about the controlled start was the fast
riders in both events could work their way to the front and the riders
that wanted to go slow could work their way to the back during the first
3/4 of a mile.

Truman

I have yet to see any of the FL rides come close to having a hundred riders, let alone 200 plus that seems to be at most of the GA rides I've been to lately.  If the ride isn't crowded, vet lines are not usually a problem.

It's the large, out of state rides I'm talking about here.  For the 25's to be more than half way done their ride before the 50's even start would make those afternoon lines a lot more pleasant.  It would allow you more time to feed your horse and take a real break rather than spending your entire 40 minute hold, or more, in line trying to give your horse some hay as you slowly progress towards the vet.

cya,
Howard