Re: RC: Blew out my knee

Hi Rhonda,

I'm in a similar situation atm - I blew out my knee a few weeks ago,
still don't entirely know what's wrong with it (it was MRI-scanned on
Tuseday and I'll find out the results next week), so I may or may not
have done some more damage to an old ligament injury I have in that
knee.
After the injury, I was on crutches for about a week and in a knee
brace for another two weeks - and throughout that time, riding my
gaited horse was the only thing that didn't hurt and that made my knee
feel better afterwards as well.

As you are having surgery anyway, I'd recommend riding - your body
will tell you when it's too much (ouch!) and as long as you pay
attention to that and don't overdo it, why not? Most doctors know very
little about riding (they tend to think it's all about showjumping and
falling off, 'cause that's what they see on tv...) and they know even
less about gaited horses, so your doctor's advice regarding riding
might not be very reliable.

All the best for a quick recovery!!

Jana (did two 40-milers this month with my dodgy knee and it was fine
- but the vets had a great time analysing my "lameness" at each and
every trot-up!)

>>> <RhndLev@cs.com> 05/05/00 10:09pm >>>
Hey guys, I could use some information.  I fractured the cartilage in
my knee
and am told I have a "joint mouse" that needs to be removed.
Apparently, I
broke a chunk of the cartilage off and it's moving around in there
causing me
severe pain.  I did this last Friday and was on crutches until
yesterday (I
tried to "walk off" the injury right after it happened and did more
damage to
the joint).

Doctor tells me not to ride again until after I see the surgeon and
get the
chunk removed.  I rode right after the injury and it felt a heck of a
lot
better than walking (even with crutches).  My horse is gaited and
incredibly
smooth and stands calmly for me to do an off-side mount.

So my questions are:  Is there really a good reason not to ride?  Why
not?  I
already need surgery so it's not like I can mess my knee up any
worse, is
there?  For those of you who have had arthoscopic surgery on your
knees, what
kind of recovery time am I looking at?  In terms of getting back on
the
horse, of course.  Doctor rattles on about recovering enough to walk.
 Eh.
Who cares.  When can I ride?

This is making me crazy so any help would be appreciated.

Rhonda and Special