Re: RC: RE: Self contained camper

guest@endurance.net writes:

<< You are right Heidi, nothing excuses the raid. Tempers
 flared after 2 years of being "ignored". But that is the
 RMs fault as well, don't you agree? >>

Well, Jessica, you sent this privately, and I replied privately, but since
you sent it here as well, I'll reply here, too.  No, I don't automatically
blame the RM.  Having dealt with similar issues with the USFS, the first
thing I've learned is that the government officials don't always tell the
unadulterated truth in these situations, either.  Furthermore, it has been a
repeated tactic by the USFS (yes, different agency, but still the government
body assigned to deal with public land) to try to discredit RM's by making a
scene with the riders.  We have worked for several years on issues here where
the USFS would not follow its own rules.  We requested an "immediate judicial
review" as specified in the rules, and were told that the USFS did not know
what that was.  We spent over a year going through their administrative
review process--and guess what--they back their own!  We finally made it to
the judicial level, and had a settlement agreement mediated by a federal
judge, and signed on behalf of the USFS by an Assistant US Attorney--and
guess what--the USFS is still breaking that agreement!  So no, I don't just
automatically "assume" that this is the RM's fault--until I know what they
have gone through with this agency behind closed doors.  And I hope AERC
finds out the actual FACTS in the case before taking any action against this
RM.

Yes, likely there was a better way for the RM to handle this to the riders.
But it may well have been unexpected on their part, too--we've had the bully
boys out when we thought we had the situation well in hand in meetings with
the rec people.  In fact, we had to call the county sheriff and lodge a
complaint of harrassment to get the USFS "law enforcement" people to leave
one of our ride sites.  (And it was amazing how quickly they evaporated after
we made that call!  But then we had discussed our misgivings with the county
sheriff prior to the event, too, because we had reason to believe that what
had been agreed would not be what was done--because of harrassment of
previous RM's at different rides.)  If people do NOT stand up and object when
the agencies break the rules, then we WON'T have trails in the future.  And I
hope AERC walks a careful path on this issue, as preservation of access to
public trails is part of our mandate and in our best interests.

Heidi