American River Ride

I have read with confusion and interest all of the problems that
happened at the American River Ride camp this year. I attended the ride
last year and the rangers made it quite clear to everyone they wanted
only self contained units in the camp ground. They came in the middle of
the night and then left because of the hostility of the ridecampers.
So that explains why the rangers came in force and with guns this year.
That does not explain WHY it happened again. Did the ride management and
rangers not discuss the 1999 situation together so that it would not
happen? Did the ride management not send out warnings about what
happened last year?  Although I was a self contained unit, I certainly
got the message of hostility toward horses and tent campers! How did the
ride management team miss the message? And how come the rangers are the
only bad guys here?
Terry C.