Re: RC: Re: American River Ride

At 09:50 PM 5/4/00 -0600, Sandy wrote:
just think what would happen if anyone could spend the night there..

What would happen?  It's a public camp area.  Who shouldn't be there?  People of color?  People of certain financial status?  People with orange spiked hair?  Or under or over certain ages?  It's a PUBLIC camp area for goodness sake!  You don't control over use by implementing discrimination of any sort.

it's a zoo and the rangers are the zoo keepers. Seems to me when you choose to live and /or recreate in thickly populated zoo-like areas..you have to accept the inherent rules and regulations that come along with it.

It is not a zoo, these are people and once anyone at all starts thinking zoo then the opening is created for  bad things to happen because that kind of thinking implies that *individual responsibility and thinking* is not involved.  We are all in possession of brain cells and intelligence and free will.  We all have also got a responsiblity to be responsible individuals, which means more than just following rules but also not allowing other people to dictate our lives without examining the rules.  This does not mean being antisocial, but it does mean not just looking the other way instead of speaking out.  That path leads to the erosion of rights and freedoms.

I am sincerely trying to put forward the thought that at least one half of the equation at the American River Ride was the authorities acting inappropriately and this is not something to merely accept.  I am not saying that the park rangers were totally to blame, but the other half was NOT the people there to do the ride.

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609