Re: RC: American River Ride

At 11:20 AM 5/3/00 -0700, Katee wrote:
park service(their rules sound like they are made to prevent vagrancy, not endurance rides)

Katee you are a sweet soul, but think about this:  For the entire history of human kind campers have been sleeping out under the stars in sleeping bags or less, in tents, in wagons, under wagons, etc. etc.  "Self contained vehicles" are a pretty recent invention (I'm guessing 50 or 60 years old at best).   How could it in any way be considered vagrancy to want to camp out like this since everyone involved was sleeping in - gasp! - a National Park where people go to camp?  Sleeping in "self contained" vehicles is just that - it's not camping in the time honored sense of the word.  People who have paid entry fees for an endurance race AND a camping fee could not be considered vagrants in any way shape or form

While the RM might have known and done something prior to the race is a whole 'nother issue - what the Parks people did was still  out of line.  AND - if RM had a whole year to know about this regulation, the Parks dept. had a whole year to consider the fairness of requiring "self contained" vehicles for a public event.   It is absolutely NOT RIGHT for the Parks dept. to make such requirements, any more than it would be for them to say that only people with Mercedes, Ferraris, BMWs, etc., etc. could drive through park lands.  This is NOT a fair policy, it is exclusionary and based on money, it is setting a really REALLY bad precident , it makes parts of PUBLIC land (state or fed, doesn't matter) inaccessible to the general population (most of whom have paid for that very land with their tax dollars) and it's making me madder and madder as I type so I will have to stop right away.

Paul was born in CA, I lived there for over 30 years.  Over the course of time we've seen what comes of these kind of assnine governmental restrictions, and it's not for the good.

Lif & Paul - teargassed at People's Park

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609