Re: Re: what to do with cramp/tie-up

Hi Maggie,
You may want to check the archives for discussion about tie-ups. I remember
some discussion not more than a few months ago. In short, though, you do not
want to force the horse to walk. To do so could cause even greater muscle
damage or shock and even death.. In severe cases, the horse will not want to
move anyway. Last summer, after only a few miles of a training ride, I
noticed that my horse was taking longer than usual to pulse down after a
long very steep uphill trot. (in hindsight, I should have taken this clue
and been more observant). After a couple more miles, she simply stopped and
was hesitant to move forward. I could feel her hind legs trembling. I
dismounted immediately and knew in an instant that we had a severe problem.
Her hip muscle was rock hard and tight as a drum. Within a minute or so, the
sweat was dripping from her so profusely that it was as though a hose was
pouring over her. She would not move either rear foot. Luckily, the weather
was in the high 80's. The protocol is to not move the horse, cover with a
blanket or cooler and seek veterinarian assistance immediately. As we were
miles from the trailer, the only thing to do was to wait it out while my
friend rode back to the trailer to try to bring it closer to the trail when
my horse was able to walk. After about an hour and a half, my horse offered
to take a step. I walked her about a half mile to the trailer and was able
to get her home. The vet took blood samples the next morning and confirmed
that we had a case of Myositis or Tie-up. Luckily there was little kidney
damage and after a couple weeks, she was back to normal. This is a very
serious condition, not to be taken lightly as there could be severe kidney
damage as well as muscle damage. It is extremely painful for the horse. I
now carry Banamine with me on all training rides as it could lessen the
damage in the event of another tie-up. A good source to check for a thorough
discussion of this is Nancy Loving's Veterinary Manual for the Performance
Horse, available from Equine Research, Inc. phone (800)848-0225.
Pat