Re: RC: American River ride

In a message dated 5/2/00 3:34:07 PM !!!First Boot!!!, sshaw@pacbell.net
writes:

<< Some of my friends were awoken at midnight by
 the Park Rangers and given breath tests for alcohol and told that they
 had to leave. They were also told that they would have to call a taxi to
 go. They had been drinking and the breath tests were below the limit,
 but close enough that the Rangers did not want them to drive.  >>

Midnite breathalizers?  Taxi ride home?  I just can't imagine going to a ride
like this.  Ever.  These Park Rangers sound like the Brown shirts in Nazi
Germany.  "Let me see your papers."

My first reaction would be to put this ride off my list and to tell everyone
about how bad the authorities are at the Park.  But from what I've read it is
in a beautiful area, and if not for the tactics of the Rangers, it would be a
great ride.  The question is, "Can you fight the National Park system?"

The answer probably is yes, but.....But it takes years to get them to change
the way they currently do things.  But you need Congressional support.  But
you won't see any changes from the ride this year to the rides next year.
but.....

It's kind of funny how different aspects of our federal government behave
when it comes to endurance riding.  I've been to a ride that is held on an
Army Post (Liberty Run near Augusta, GA) and, except for the weapons
training, no rider was ever bothered by any Army official.  This particular
Army Post is just as good as being on private land, if not better (they have
a great restaurant there).

Anyhow, if you all decide to fight them or try to, let RC know how you go
about taking on the FEDS.  Just be glad you're not dealing with Janet Reno,
who would probably react by sending in ground troops and kidnapping your
horse so that the horse could be with her stud Poppa.

cya,
Howard