American River Ride Raid

Dianna Chapek dmchapek@hotmail.com
I was one of those roused from sleep by bright lights, banging, and shouts of "State Police, open up".  I was accused of illegal camping because I wasn't self-contained and told that I would be cited and had to leave.  I informed the very nice Gestapo-like! officer that I had a camping permit.  He insisted that I couldn't possibly and that I had to show ID.  I not only showed him ID, but my camping permit.  Oops!!  Seems the ranger made a mistake when he issued me one.  Now I was told that I wouldn't be cited, could get a refund in the morning but still had to leave.  I'm not easily intimidated so I argued for a while and then informed the fat SOB that I would move in with my friends next to me AND that I was not moving out.  He finally said fine as long as I didn't sleep in my own camper.  Sure was an enjoyable evening--being harrassed by my own employees (last time I knew, my taxes pay their wages) in my own park (tax supported state park).  It's about time these people are made to realize that they are public servants and this is not a military state!!     And I agree with Jessica--Ride Management should have notified riders so we could have made self-contained arrangements, or gone to SASO.     My co-workers can't believe what an exciting life I lead!
Dianna & Critters