A Log book is the following..

Hi all

I was amazed by the amount of debate an inocent question caused. I assumed
as endurance overhere is pretty much based on the sates version that a log
book would also be required in the USA.

To clear up any confusion the log book is basically a yellow card with the
date of the ride, name of the ride,mileage, class passed or failed and
reason for failure. If its lost the society that provided it either EHPS or
BERA can provide another. Its left with the ride organiser and completed
when the ride has finished and then given back.

The idea was brought about for a number of reasons:

1. It prevents a young horse doing a novice season with the EHPS from
competing in more rides than permitted.

2.if a horse has the same problem recurring and causing elimination at rides
the horse cannot be competed for a month afterwards and possibly for longer
dependent on vets opinions. This in my opinion is a good idea as its amazing
to see the number of patently obviously lame horses at other competions such
as dressage, and some people will happily compete at the expense of an
animals welfare.

3.Both societes run annual cummulative mileage, grading and differing
national championships based on horses competing in specific level rides ie.
silver cup for BERA horses competing only in upto 50 mile CTRs throughout
the season.

4. It prevents a non novice horse being mascaraded as one.

The log book is soley the proeprty of the horse/rider and no one other than
ride officials has a right to see it.
The vets dont actually see the log book and therefore will not be swayed by
it. They , like all vets, look at whats in front of them nothing more.  Its
the ride officials who monitor if the horse has the same reason for
elimination at consecutive rides and act accordingly , and take additional
vets advice AFTER the finish of the ride.

its not that difficult to complete or particularly onerous and most people
treasure them as a record of their neddys progress.
if one is lost they can be replaced for £25 .

I did check as I was sure that all vets sheets had to be presented with it,
but in fact it is the last two seaasons sheets. So no need for a small cart
to carry them in !

Cheers

Tamara