Re: RC: Re: Getting Pulled

In a message dated 4/28/00 9:03:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dleblanc@mindspring.com writes:

<< But if the rider is ill, or maybe injured from a fall, who is going to vet
 the horse through?  A stranger? >>

Yes, when such things happen, I usually to seek the horse out after all the
hubbub has died down, and get a spouse/helper/crewperson to show me the horse
(if available) or else "draft" a ride volunteer or whoever is looking after
the horse in the absence of someone "in the know."  Especially if the rider
was injured in a fall where the horse also fell, I want to see the horse.
Had one like this where the rider was airlifted out, but the horse had also
summersaulted and been knocked unconscious in the fall--and turned out to
have fractures around the eye and a damaged optic nerve that eventually led
to the removal of the eye!  This fall took place just before a finish line,
in full sight of camp, and was the result of a very fatigued rider in a race
for the finish who literally PULLED the horse off balance and off the roadway
into a pile of rocks where they went end over end...  Rider and horse were
both sprawled out unconscious.  Pretty scary situation...

Heidi