Re: RC: Fw: Re: Getting Pulled

In a message dated 4/28/00 10:50:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us writes:

<< Heidi, I agree with you.

 BUT.....most of the time if this happens, the pull is being put down as RO.

 Just look at all the RO pulls in some of the stats.  We all know some of
 those riders and know better.  Don't we?  The record keeping (well,
 reporting...gotta keep Bob happy) :), could use some improvement. >>

Yes, you are right that the pulls are often not properly reported.  I do
think that this goes to education of veterinarians and managers that the
reporting is not a "brownie point" mission but rather one of education.  Once
managers and vets realize WHY they are reporting, then they are more apt to
be accurate.

I do find all of this interesting in view of the fact that I pushed for some
sort of a veterinary report form back when I was chairman of the Veterinary
Committee, and was literally laughed out that it was too much paperwork.  A
few years later, Kerry Ridgway got the original report forms implemented.
They were pretty rudimentary--just how many were pulled and reasons--M, L,
RO, or OT.  More accurate death reporting followed.  I was thrilled to see an
updated version of the vet form when I opened my managers' packet this
year--now the vet committee is asking for more details on pulls--front or
rear lamenesses for instance, and also details on difficulty of the ride and
any extenuating circumstances--heat, humidity, terrain, etc.  It almost looks
now like the one I designed nearly 2 decades ago.  Guess I was just ahead of
my time...  <sigh>

Heidi