Camelbacks

Hi everyone - it's Jennifer, not David, this time!

I have used a Camelback for years while riding.  I LOVE it!  I can use it
either as a backpack (as it was meant to be used) or it fits well into a
cantle bag.  A couple words of advice, though.  If you use it as a
backpack, I strongly suggest using a strap in the front to hold the bottom
of the backpack tight against your body, otherwise it will bang against
your back at a trot or canter.  This will at the very least drive you
crazy, and possibly even cause back pain.  I had a local fella who made
simple tack items make me a strap for this purpose.  What he created for me
was made out of 1" nylon webbing and had a buckle on one end with holes in
the other.  It looked like a long (large?) dog collar.  I would feed it
through the shoulder straps in front under my boobs and buckle it
comfortably snug.  Boobs help keep it in place, so I don't know if it will
work for you guys ;-)  !!  BTW, it also acts as a Wonderbra and creates
lots of cleavage!! <g>

It is also a good idea to pad the shoulder straps (they are thin and tend
to cut into your shoulders).  I made my own fleece tubes for mine, and it
solved the problem nicely.

You can also buy tube extensions for it to make the tube longer, which if
you plan on stuffing it in a cantle bag is a good idea.  The longer tube
also makes it easier to share with others.

The best thing about them is that you can drink while flying down the trail
- no more slowing down, stopping, and/or fumbling with a bottle!

Happy trails,
-Jennifer
David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com