How To Wrap Legs

char antuzzi char_antuzzi@hp.com
Hello,
I have worked on the race track for years and can tell you why we
wrap and how we wrap. Ok... Please remember each horse is different and requires different things, just by wrapping and
thinking your all done, WRONG! Please keep an eye on those legs. Ok lets start. One questions was what is the difference between a standing wrap, polo wrap, quilts, no bows, etc. A Standing wrap is made of a material that is a smaller knit, it is used when there will be a small amount of excersice after a workout, like galloping down the track, washed down and put in a stall, tied to a trailer etc. These offer the most support out of any wrap however.... they can also cause the most damage if not wrapped correctly, we'll touch on this in a minute. A Standing wrap is better at protecting the tendons and ligaments during a
workout then a polo. A Polo is a larger knit material, made out of fleece and has more stretch to it, they are wider then standing wraps. These wraps don't hold in heat as much as the standing wraps but offer a far less support. These wraps tend not to cause as much damage if wrapped wrong, again because they have more give. Quilts, no bows etc. are the first protective wrap you use on the leg prior to wrapping at all, Do NOT excersice a horse in these, these are for after workouts and protecting an injury.

How to wrap a leg while under excersice:
1. Use a standing wrap
2. DO NOT use a no bow or quilt under, only a standing bandage
3. Start the wrap at the inside of the leg
4. You will be pulling the wrap TOWARDS the front of the leg
5. You are pulling the seam of the wrap AWAY from the tendon
6. After you have circled the leg twice, work your way UP the
leg towards the knee, this will prevent the wrap from slipping down the leg.
7. Wrap to appx 1/2 inch below the knee and start working your way to the fetlock/pastern area
8. Once you are at the pastern jont, fetlock you want your first wrap to go UNDER the fetlock, come up around the pastern and come DOWN over the fetlock. You want to make a figure eight around the fetlock joint, BESURE your cris-cross is right in the middle of the fetlock joint.
9. Two figure eights around the fetlock joint and work your way
back up the leg. You should end in the middle of the cannon bone
and the velcro is not on a tendon. You want to end your wrap on
the front of the cannon bone, not on a side and a big no-no is
not in the back of the leg.

points to remember... never start your warp on a tendon
as you pull the wrap, you are pulling AWAY from a tendon
cris cross over the fetlock two times and besure your cris cross
is over the middle of the joint. Never end your wrap on a tendon or the back of the leg.

Wraping after a workout.
I use LIKE ICE, smear it on the leg from the knee down to the coronet band, MOVING with the direction of the hair. Add your quilt or no bow, making sure your seam isn't on a tendon and that as you wrap your pulling it away from the tendon. Once you
have your quilt on, follow the instructions as above (wrapping while under excersice). I use
standing wraps all the time, I would recommend that a person that
is not too sure of themselves to use a Polo. Leave the bandages on for 24 hours, then hose off. Never apply hard, cold water from
the hose to the back of the leg, always start on the front of the leg and work your way back, moving up and down with the hose.

Why to wrap.. A horse is telling you in his/her way that a wrap is needed, do they tend to swell after a workout, are they short strided, is there heat, windpuffs, prior damage to the leg, all good reasons to wrap. I come from the school of... if I wrap I am paying very close attention to those legs as I am wrapping, I know every knick, scratch etc on those legs. I have to bend down
and take a close look, if I were to simply hose them off I might not see something wrong. As the leg is under excersice those tendons are being pulled, stretched and heat up, this is where the Like Ice comes in, because it closes the leg up and works as a support in its self. If the horse were to run, buck, etc and those tendons were stretched and hot you run a greater chance at
them really doing some damage if there not protected.

I know this is long and some will disagree and hey if you own a horse you can disagree all you want. I am only given the way I was taught and have done for years. I have never had a leg problem, splints, etc. and this is the way I have done it. If you have a better way, please share...

Happy Trails