Fwd: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #657

---- Begin included message ----
In a message dated 04/24/2000 9:44:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net writes:

<< As for watching out for any particular bloodlines' behavior on the trail, I
 say phooey on the rider for allowing viciousness displays leading up to
 attacks.  I have witnessed and heard of horses attacking others (striking
 *with* biting and ears pinned) on rides, when being ridden by their
 experienced owners that *continually* allow threats to occur without any
 attempts at preventing them.

 Simply blaming it on bloodlines or personality is ignoring the riders'
 responsibility in prevention.  Do not let your horse in your control
 threaten another.  I'm talking about ears back, bared teeth, or shaking
 neck.  These require at least verbal discipline.  Threats turn into attacks
 when you let your guard down.  For example, a mare that's "like that
 sometimes" whose rider lets them threaten away with no letting her know you
 care at all, will eventually attack a fellow rider's horse.  You CAN control
 this with *consistent* training and even cure it,  over a time the length of
 which depends on how long the behavior has been allowed to occur.

 Horses being ridden in a group of strangers will still try to establish
 dominance if their riders allow it.

 Consciously using your horse's aggressiveness on the trail to intimidate
 others' mounts is unsportsmanlike and can develop into your horse seeing
 what it can get away with further.

I am a lurker to this list and I cannot believe that ANYONE allows their
horse to behave this way. It is not only unsportamanlike but it is rude and
childish. It teaches your horse bad manners and lets others know exactly what
kind of a person you are.
I am not a seasoned endurance rider, just an everyday trail rider (CTR or
Endurance wanna be) and would never consider this kind of behavior from my
MARE,
My two cents...for what it's worth.
Kathie in Tennessee
---- End included message ----