What is an endurance horse?

Tamara wrote:
Personally, and within reason, I dont think its the horses type/pedigree/cost that matters its its guts and heart that counts and I guess you can only test that by the suck it and see method!

I like that - "suck it and see method"!!  Tamara, sorry I'm not sure where you live, could you fill me in?

Using the Ididerod dogsled race as an example, one can see that almost any breed can compete (Paul heard of someone with a team of Dalmation crosses), however certain breeds predominate because they were bred to do long distances like that *and the odds are that those dog teams will do well at the job*.  Looking at thoroughbred racing, one sees that certain bloodlines predominate because they win more and again, people choose them because the odds are better for winning with those bloodlines.  You start with something someone has already shown does the job and try to improve on that.    Why reinvent the wheel?

The issue here is not how many horses are winners because they break the mold (e.g. draft crosses, free, rescue or whatever horses doing well in endurance "in spite of..."), but what is the mold from which they are breaking?  And how can that be improved?  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609