In defense of stallions... was Re: Karahty - facts and misconceptions

Just my two cents in regards to stallions and their behavior...since I have
been on ridecamp, I have sought and used the advice of many of RC's
stallion owners.  Everyone has their own ideas about what is proper
behavior from a stallion.  I have discovered through others' advice and my
own experience that "talking" from a stallion does not indicate bad
behavior...our stallion will talk and even arch his neck and pump himself
up like a peacock showing off but he does NOT and is NOT allowed to do
anything more than that...we taught him from the get go that plumbing stays
put except for peeing (light yellow, please) and "airing" out!  I have
discovered he does more "talking" when idle, as in at the trailer twiddling
his thumbs (yeah, right!) than when on the trail taking care of business!
I see worse behavior from some (please mare owners, note that I said SOME)
mares (yes, my sister's mare included!).  I agree that being around a
stallion can be intimidating...we have owned Malik for almost 2 years and
it has taken me this long to "know" him as well as I do and I am still
intimidated or rather very cautious around stallions belonging to OTHER
people...I think some of the folks I know who trail ride their stallions
(these are NOT endurance stallions) enjoy the titillation of their
stallion's shocking, wild behavior and that others might think what
wonderful horse people they must be to be able to handle them, let alone
get ON them and RIDE!  Yeah, right!!!  I'm more impressed with the stallion
and his owner that is not quite that obvious!!!  Anyway, don't judge a
stallion by his "mouth"... observe him in all aspects of behavior before
passing judgements on his manners.  Talking by itself is not in my book
"bad" manners.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.