Re: RC: Breeders are horse owners too

At 04:21 PM 4/23/00 -0700, Kat wrote:
endurance prospects (which, face it, that is what any young horse is, no matter what its pedigree)

Kat - I absolutely have to disagree.  Not all young horses are endurance prospects!  Certain breeds are not realistically suitable, certain conformation just won't make it, and attitude counts tool.  If someone shows me a Clysdale foal & calls it an endurance prospect I'd laugh myself silly.  Same with the offspring of certain lines of QH with tiny feet, or certain lines of show Arabians - it would be patently impossible for me to consider such horses endurance prospects and keep a straight face.

As I see it, one of the big differences between my viewpoint and some others is that I don't think that just being able to waddle down the trail for a few miles once in a horse's lifetime is equivalent to being an endurance horse.  My definition of an endurance prospect is a horse that has a high chance of completing a full career of long distance mileage.  Not all horses have that chance & it can be seen when they're young.  So just because it's a horse doesn't give it the right to be called an endurance prospect.  Just like every horse isn't a dressage prospect, either.  Both terms have been misused, but that doesn't make it right.  I firmly believe that real endurance prospects - not trail horses, but endurance horses - are not so easily found.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609