breeding for endurance

Edie Booth desertbred@USA.net
What really cracks me up lately is people spending megabucks on their living quarters and trailer outfits, and they basically still ride ( and take pride in) their `special deal` horse.  Some of these special deal horses (or `rescues`) are ok for the sport, even though they may require tons more conditioning than the more genetically capable animals, but others are still
just what they were when they were saved--- one step away from the Alpo can.

With a lot of experience, both riding and listening to hearts at P/R check points, I believe it is possible to have horses with superior cardio pulmonary capabilities, with superior quality of heart beat (and volume pumped) and superior recovery times.  These ARE inherited characteristics.  You are kidding yourself, if you don't think so.

Edie