Re: RC: Killer Horses

Hi Laura
Too bad you didn't go back and read the whole thread. No one is saying
that you can't find gems among cheap horses. This is about people who
spend thousands on fancy equipment, restaurants, vacations, etc, demand
perfection in a broke to death conformationally correct horse and then
hard ball the breeder down to a price less than it cost to feed him (let
alone training/labor costs) just because killer prices are the norm. I
started the thread by saying that I stopped breeding for sales in
endurance 3 years ago due to the insultingly low-ball offers from people
who could not only afford to pay more but who knew full well what it
cost me to raise them and were taking advantage of the current low
prices. Other breeders have said the same thing. In short, endurance
riders are losing breeders for this field yet are beginning to recognize
that certain lines and types do better than others. Those that rescue
horses are held in high esteem in my book---I'd rescue them all if I
could (and have rescued several myself). Just saying that breeders can
no longer afford to take a loss on their horses. The difference is
between garage sales where you occasionally find a WONDERFUL saddle that
was hardly used, and going to a tack store for your gear. Would you ask
the tack store owner to sell you something for below his cost? How long
would he stay in business if he did? And then if he did and went out of
business, all you would have left are garage sales. Some would be happy
with that; and it is nice to have a choice.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!