Re:Strangles and breeding

CMNewell, DVM reshan@deyr.ultranet.com

Our mare is at a farm that is now quarentined due to strangles.  She is there for breeding but has not been bred yet.
She has been exposed to strangles several years and never had any
 symptoms, and then was  been vaccinated with the nasal vaccine.
===
Sounds like she may well have some immunity to the bug.

Does any one know if stangles can be transmitted in the seaman
 of the stallion if he has been exposed as the breeding is done
 AI.
===
Never heard of a case of Streptococcus equi being shed in semen.

  Also if the mare has built up an immunity does this mean that
 it would be safe to breed and the fetus would be safe.

I've seen mares in foal with strangels go on to rpoduce perfectly
 normal foals, so if the mare is merely exposed and doesn't have
a clinical case, I wouldn't be at all worried on that front.

By the way, the incubation period for strangles is roughly 3-14
 days.
The three month quarantine is more likely to ensure that any
horses infected are no longer shedding the organism, and the
bacteria in the envirnment are more likely to die in that time.