bloodlines/endurance/ FREE Labrador dog!

I am not a breeder but I have a theory about how horses with shared bloodlines generations back can be very different athletically.
When I started endurance in 1980, it was already established that arabians were the way to go if you wanted to do well in endurance riding(even when the pulse criteria was 72 and there were straight time holds!).  This was also when arabians were selling for big bucks for the showring.  The breeding facilities were breeding for a certain look in the ring, and mixed whatever bloodlines to achieve the ideal arabian.  Hence, horses were culled for such showring faults as a plain head, small eyes, big ears, short neck, sloping hip, clodhopper feet...all things we don't mind at all, even some we prize!  Endurance riders could find affordable horses with these foundation bloodlines from the showring culls.
Nowadays, the show horses have had many generations of breeding for their particular traits, some of which endurance riders recognize as faults for our type of riding(There was a horse show on television recently that showed the halter and liberty classes at Scottsdale.  I was amazed at how different these horses were from what I'm used to...pretty, well...not a one would survive a day on my mountain pasture ...).  OTOH, some breeders have not followed the popular looks and instead bred for preservation of certain bloodines, original traits, etc.  These breeders would likely have the horses we have come to recognize as endurance horse types.  Todays showhorses have been bred for looks for so many generations that the culls are sometimes not terribly usable for endurance(but, there can be throwbacks....).
This is not to say that you cannot find a good horse at auction.  People do...for reasons Angie stated, for economic reasons(I have two this way), for culling reasons, for all sorts of reasons.  Yes, the famous Red was sold at auction, along with quite a few of his close relatives...due to his owner not wanting to deal with so many horses all by himself.  His bloodlines are excellent, however, and he is an awesome specimen of horseflesh...which is why he was indeed rescued.
Are your chances better of getting your endurance prospect from a breeder that breeds specifically for the traits you need in endurance?  I would say so, it takes a lot of the guessing out of the equation.  Can you get an awesome horse from someone else's throwaway?  Yes, if you find the right one.  Personally, I'd probably come home from auction with all of the ones I felt sorry for....BTW, anyone need a good dog?  I'm rescuing a friend's 3 yr. old Labrador Retriever fixed male...he is wonderful with livestock, kids, etc...but my friend can't get final state approval on his old age board and care facility because the dog is over 15#.  So...we are taking him rather than the alternative.  Max needs a good home....
Katee
Central CA if anyone needs the dog...