Re: RC: KILLER HORSES

<< Here I go stirring up trouble again.  I'm assuming that "a bit high" is
 this horse price I quoted.  I'm curious how old Ansata was when you got
 her, how much training she had, and what you think her true value was at
 the time.  Lif >>

    I don't know about you....but for me, a $2500 horse is out of the
question.  I understand it isn't an outrageous price....or necessarily even a
high price, but, I am just a kid.....and with a mom who would be plenty happy
if I rode other people's horses, I was on my own when it came time to buy a
horse.  This doesn't mean that my mom isn't willing to help out with some
expenses, but I am the one who is responsible for making sure my mare has
hay, and that her rent is paid on time.
I bought my mare for $1500.  She's a 15 hand, 6 year old morab mare. She is
built very well and moves like an ol' pro.  I owe, what I like to call, "my
luck", to a very special individual who had to look beyond her value and
consider what would be best for his horse.  He has been riding her older (8
yr old) half brother, who is coming along quite nicely....he's getting to be
a "been here, done that" sort of guy.... and he has another young
gelding....his back up horse.  My mare was getting ridden some (mostly by
me....and her owner when he had more time), but she really needed to get off
her butt and become something other than a pasture potato. She's well broke
and....is just a nice mare.  He had me lease her for 3 months before he
decided I was worthy of owning her.  But when he did, he cut me the greatest
deal!!!
So, while I believe there is no such thing as a "free" horse....since they
all end up costing a bazillion dollars over the years......I don't think a
horse necessarily needs to be young and untrained in order to be "cheap".
Perhaps it just takes a nice person, who is more interested in the future of
his/her horse, than how much money he/she can make.
:-)
Renee