Re: RC: Breeding shed manners

I agree with you, Michelle
My colts from weanlings to 4 or 5 year olds are in with my 15 year old
stallion Jumper. They can't be in with Hal because he was not allowed to
socialize with other horses as a youngster as the previous owners were
more concerned with his status as a halter winner. He is used to having
his own space and only puts up with a mare as long as she puts
out---yes, the boy is a bit of a cad, but it is due to the way he was
raised. All his sons are different--- love being in with other colts (so
long as there is no competition with a mare in heat) and geldings and
even bred-mares (teaches the lads manners). My horses may have chewed on
manes, a calcium deposit here or there where they were kicked
(superficial), and some probably well-earned bite marks from time to
time BUT they are SANE and easily handled. We natural cover whenever
possible (and I am the tease mare for Hal when we have to collect for
shipping, but that is another story). There are other breeders out there
like myself--many of them on ridecamp--but unfortunately not in the show
industry where cosmetic beauty means so much-- and that is unfortunately
who the majority of breeders are breeding for as that is where the money
is.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!