Re: RC: RE: RE: RE: Karahty (and Bloodlines in Arabs)

Hi Kathy
I have to agree with you in that an athlete is an athlete whether he
wins at stock, cutting, jumping, hunter-over-fences, or racing--flat or
endurance---AND if he happens to be beautiful and win halter and his
"kids" win Get of Sire for him, what a BONUS! You can have it all;
however, the reason most stallion owners do not advertise in magazines
for endurance is that the prices are so low. Endurance riders
traditionally want to pay less for a prospect than the cost of the food
to feed the horse to reach the stage that he/she is rideable ($3500) let
alone any compensation for all the love and labor involved in the
process. I realize most riders do not want to hear this and that perhaps
I am offending some, and for that I apologize, but someone has to tell
you what is happening in this market.
Most of the top performance breeders I know of will not only fail to
market for endurance, but also have very little patience for the low
ball prices offered them for same. I don't come from a "sour grapes"
place. If you visit my web site you will see that the quality of my
stallion is recognized by 2 many-time World Champions as well as Donna
Snyder-Smith. I promoted Hal is this market at the urging of Donna who
felt that prices would eventually come up to a REASONABLE range (not
exorbitant) but when the current president of AERC told me he didn't see
that happening any time in the near future and that he has stopped
breeding due to the fact he can pick up horses at less than the cost it
takes him to raise them, it is definitely a discouragement to those in
quality breeding. I myself stopped breeding for sales 3 years ago.
Those that encourage looking at proven bloodlines in selecting a
prospect would be well advised to also encourage paying a price for said
prospect that would enable a breeder to continue breeding quality
athletes.
I've called those of us still in the breeding end, Patrons of the Arts.
Unless we are in the Michael Byatt (it's been so long I forgot his
spelling)/Boggs/Gallun crowd, we are for the most part forced for the
most part to have other income to supplement our addiction to Arabians.
I do still offer breedings to my boy, but simply can no longer continue
to raise his offspring simply to take a financial loss on them, despite
the fact that I LOVE seeing them in homes where they have fresh air,
lots of trails, and some of the best nutritional/medical care (not to
mention close companionship) I've seen in endurance.
So much for my soapbox; it is just that every time I hear about
bloodlines and why certain ones are not seen in endurance, I feel
compelled to stick up for the stallion owners. We can be a much maligned
group, as seen here lately with the posts.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!