From: guest@endurance.net [mailto:guest@endurance.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 8:45 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Karahty (and Bloodlines in Arabs)

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Terry Hodd thodd@hotmail.com said:

>Since when is Raffles considered Egyptian?  Obviously, Karahty
>isn't 100% Egyptian like he's been advertised.  I'm not
>disputing that he was a great endurance horse.  Just that
>his offspring don't seem to have inherited his quality.

In every advertisement that I have seen for Karahty he has been
advertized as "3/4 Egyptian" not 100% Egyptian.  And quite frankly
most of his offspring that I have seen that are "of racing age"
have been quite successful endurance horses.  I haven't seen that
many, but for the young stallion that he is, from what I have
seen, his get have done disproportionately well in endurance
considering how few of them there really are--which may or may not
have anything to do with his ability as a sire.

Of course he doesn't appear on Salim's list...all those horses
are long dead.  And the other horses that don't appear on Salim's
list are any foreign horses that were not imported into the US.
I suspect, that if foreign horses were included then Ofir...the
sire of Witez II (among other great horses) would probably be
on the list...as would Skowronek (the sire of both Raffles and
Raseyn and the grandsire of Raffles).  To make the information
more meaningful, foreign horses would have to be included, other
wise it just makes it look like early American imports are the
best bloodlines for endurance (which is the only thing that all
those horses have in common).

kat
Orange County, Calif.