Sore Backs

There are many people out there who know alot more than I do about the
mechanics of how a horse moves, carries it's load, etc.  Maybe some of them
can contribute some ideas on this subject.
It seems to me that not all sore backs come from saddle fit, but can also
come from the horse's exertion.  For example, last year one of my horses
fell with me.  The only injury sustained was a sore back on his part --
fixed readily by a visit from the chiropractor.  I also wonder about the
muscles etc that they use in their backs when they are moving out down the
trail.  I've seen many people ride saddles that looked like they'd have to
sore their horses backs and didn't.  I've also seen horses with sore backs
that were outfitted with "perfectly" fitted saddles.  I've also seen horses
with poor riders have sound backs while others with excellent riders and
well fitted saddles have sore backs.
Anyone have any information to contribute?