re: OF Panels

Dave Bennett mdbennett@tva.gov
Vicki Wheeler wrote:
>>Has anyone had their OF panels replaced with the shorter panels? If so,
please e-mail me privately with you opinions (pros/cons). My new horse has a
shorter back than my previous guy & I'm wondering if it is worth the
trouble/expense to have the panels replaced.

Vicki - I didn't exactly replace my panels but think I can give you a good
answer.  I had a nice Stitchdown with the old panel system that worked
pretty good on my horse.  But, in early November it was stolen along
with my DeSoto that I rode a bit more.  Insurance paid to replace them and
I bought a like-new Stitchdown from an individual.  It has the short
panels - 20", I think.  The panels are so short that they barely extend
beyond
the back edge of the tree.  Booties that came with the saddle fit much
looser - by intent I think - than booties for all the older O-F saddles that
have seen.

This saddle works great with my horse and I am more
comfortable than with either of my old saddles.  There was a little of the
loin hair rubbing before my horse started shedding.  When I noticed that I
tried a couple of things including using a Skito pad instead of the booties.
The Skito did not fit well, had some defects, and would not stay in place
under the panels.  I finally settled on the best arrangement for us when
I put a thin Navajo blanket between the booties and my horse's back.
We've done a number of long training rides and a fast 50 with this combo
with absolutely no rubbing,  soreness, or other problem.  The Navajo stays
in place with no slipping either.

I like this saddle/pad combo best of everything I have used in 8 years of
endurance riding.  If you are comfortable in your saddle now then it could
be very worthwhile to replace the panels with the new short ones - like
getting a new saddle for your horse...

Dave Bennett & Rocketeer - 700 miles and hundreds to go!
Chickamauga, Georgia