Million Pines and Goat (not Howard or Angie)

  Believe it or not, I have been to 4 rides this year and haven't been a
blabberfingers to y'all about any of them.  Didn't think it would last did
you?
  Duane decided he wanted to ride Goat at Million Pines this year.  Since his
name is still on Goat's papers...wasn't a lot I could do <g>.  I had already
ridden him in a 75 and a 50 miler this year, and I guess it was his turn.
  It was at Million Pines 2 years ago that Duane "gave" Goat to me.  I have
witnesses!  He came into the vet check and claimed Goat was trying to kill
him and did I still want the $%$&$# @#$@#$ Horse!  I said of course, he said
you can have him.  He denies it now, but as I said I have witnesses that are
willing to testify!
  Okay it's about a 7 hour drive for us, Goat didn't turn on his call light
until we got close, we stopped around halfway through for him a break.  This
was on Thursday.  Arrived mid to late afternoon, and immediately found where
Mom was camped.  Unloaded the kitchen sink and all, and put Goat in with
Coujur.  They have become fast friends, I think because Coujur gets a
selection of food since Goat comes with groceries.  And Coujur seldom
finishes his meals, so Goat helps him out.
  I had also been asked to "observe" the riders that are long listed for the
World's.  In this case, it was Melissa Crain and Steph Teeter.  I read the
information packet that came and Friday went in search of them to do my pre
ride bit.  I introduced myself to them (have known Melissa for years, and
Steph for a ride or so) since I'm so anal and that is what the paperwork said
to do.  Asked them about their goals for the ride etc.
  Wesley Crowe had called Duane earlier in the week, one of his vets had
gotten injured and wasn't coming, and upon arrival another had a family
member sick and couldn't come.  Duane and Wesley scrambled around and got
replacements.  He had 190+ pre entries.  Yikes!  Turned out 97 started the 50
and 5 elevated.
  I gave Duane a pep talk pre ride, basically told him that if he hurt my
baby I was having him buried.  I had already talked to a friend who was
riding and they dig graves for a living, and they promised a nice service.
Kidding!  Before it gets out that I'm having him killed.  I guess I should
have put <TIC> in just to be on the safe side, although I did ask if they
would give him a good service!
  Okay,  I have to admit, Duane did a wonderful job.  Goat would come in and
by the time we unsaddled, would pulse down.  They finished in 7th place,
right behind Steph Teeter.  She claims he let her go first, I said told her
she screwed up since I was observing her, didn't look good (again <TIC>).
  About 30 minutes after they finished, the sky darkened and the rain
started.  Mom put Coujur's rain coat on (a full blanket that is water
repellent) and poor Goat just had a regular wool one.  So over he goes to
Coujur and puts his head under Coujur's blanket to keep his ears dry.  It was
a hoot, would have loved to have a picture.  We took him up for his BC
judging and he put his head down, so I put pulled my raincoat over his ears
as did Lynn.  Duane kept saying Goat was going to raise up and flip us, I
told him of course he wouldn't he was keeping his ears dry.  Dr. Holbrook was
laughing at him, also wanting a camera.  Goat didn't get embarrassed and
showed well for his BC, wouldn't stand still (his ears were getting wet!),
not that he knows how to stand still.
  So I guess Duane can ride him again, hopefully not soon!  I'm riding him at
Biltmore (barring the unforeseen) in the 100.  Who all is going?

Nina and Goat