Re: RC: Tennessee stud

In a message dated 4/15/00 1:21:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<< Yep and if you went into the Tennessee valley speaking the perfect
 Queens english, no one would understand a word you were saying.  Heck I
 remember living there as a kid and some guy moved down from the East
 someplace and it took several years to teach him to talk right :-). >>

LOL!  Yes, it DOES cut both ways.  I can still remember getting such a kick
out of neighbors who moved from Georgia to Idaho, who would "carry" the
cattle out to the range, or "carry" the truck to town--or they might "carry"
fence posts out to the field so that they could "tote" them to the post
holes...  And of course, you could tote your lunch in a poke....

On the other hand, when my husband came here from Denmark (having pretty much
learned his English in Great Britain), he drove a lorry, and went to the loo,
and visited with the chaps at the hardware store...  (And the car, of course,
had a boot, a bonnet, and a windscreen...)  He still prefers to stock up on
grocery items when they are "on offer" (don't we all?).  My favorite, though,
is money--we never have enough of "them."  (I think that comes from the
Danish rather than the Brits, though...)

Heidi