Starting w/50's and my first ride

Kathy Myers magnumsmom@aol.com
My first ride was a 25 in, I believe, 1980.  I was
not a Junior... I had just turned 18.  The only way
it happened was because Maryben gave me the gift of
a marvelous horse to ride, took me along on her
training rides, and suggested we enter a 25.

I did that ride on Maryben's 21 (at that time) year
old QH cross Nevada Dust... Dusty.  It was great!
Except for all the grease paint applied to poor old
Dusty's coat over night by Bing Voight.  Dusty did
the ride looking like a billboard.  I have a
ride photo... fortunately it's in black & white.

Anyways, what I remember most about that ride is...

It was over way too soon for me!  Dusty and I went
on to do my first 50 (very slowly) later that year.
I've been addicted to endurance ever since.  I did
have to go off and get a college education and some
work experience though so I could afford to start
riding my dreams.

I would have loved to start with a 50.  At the time,
it was not the best choice for the horse.  However,
in slightly different circumstances (perhaps a younger
horse with a few more months of conditioning) it would
not have been irresponsible to start with a slow 50.

As it should, it depends on the horse, the rider, and
the conditions at hand.  And it's up to the rider to
make the best possible choices for their horse and
situation.

I would have loved to have started Magnum with a 50
instead of a 30.  But at the time he had Equilox
rebuilt feet, had not done as much conditioning as I
would have liked, and besides he's an old retired TB
ex-racehorse with an off-the-track fracture involving
his left fore fetlock.  I was just happy to be at a
ride with my very own horse after all those years.
We did a 50 2 months later.

:) - Kat Myers
in No. Cal. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
"yeah, but I won at Bay Meadows"
and Mr Maajistic... resident endurance weasel