Re: RC: Re: SureLytes

I have been riding my gelding for nine years.  Started
him slow with CTR.  He was panic stricken at his first
ride, but paid attention and was in heaven, when he
learned that everyone comes back to camp to an "all
you can eat slumber party".  After that he looked
forward to rides and learned and learned - mostly from
other rider/horse combinations that had lots of miles.
He learned to drink when he could, eat at every
opportunity and rest, too.  I am pleased to say that
he has been a big teacher to many other young horses
and now we can go out and do a hard ride and he takes
good care of himself.  I have also noticed that the
more relaxed I am, consistent I am, and comforting to
him, the better he does.  He depends on my skill at
his care and he trusts that I will do the right thing.

I have also noticed that electrolytes given the day or
two before a hard ride and during the ride, as long as
there is plenty of water, perk him up.  I always have
lots of horse left at the finish line.  Now I want to
try carbohydrates but I don't want to give him a
stomach ache and I don't want to give him so much that
they dehydrate him for an hour while they are waiting
to be absorbed from his gut.

Tom, what's the optimal dose in this regard?  What's
the time/miles/effort between dosages?  I trust your
expertise and want to learn from your experience.

Thanks,

Sheila