Re: RC: Bromelain

In a message dated 04/13/2000 4:12:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jlayman@escripinc.com writes:

<< Bromelain is a type of proteolytic enzyme <Enzymes.asp>,
 which means that it is capable of digesting protein. >>

Which is why a cook can't add FRESH pineapple to Jello.  Jello will not set
if you add either fresh pineapple or fresh Kiwifruit.  I think the same goes
for Papaya.  I know dried papaya crystals are used as meat tenderizer.

Barbara
A better cook than chemist