Deadman 50 (late)

Sorry if you're all sick of hearing about this incredibly gorgeous, wonderful
ride that you all missed <eg>  But here goes again.  The ridecamp (New
Cuyama, CA) was only an hour and a half from my house -- how could I NOT go
to this ride?  I am so glad that I didn't miss it.  My only question now is:
Can I enter next year's ride now??  Hey Steve!  You ready for entries for
2001 yet?

At ride briefing on Friday night, Jim Mitchell (ridecamp host extraordinaire)
warned everybody that this was not a groomed track and we'd better watch the
footing and take care of our horses.  He pointed out that the Tevis was
well-traveled by comparison and that this was a rough trail.  Since this
would be Harca's first 50 since his injury almost a year ago, I took his
words to heart and planned on an even slower (if that's possible :) 50 than
before.  I would have to explain this several times throughout the ride to
Harca (he thought he was top-tenning <sigh>).  As everyone has already said,
the ride was gorgeous.  Wildflowers everywhere (I felt like Dorothy in the
Wizard of Oz scampering through the flowers).  Michelle Mitchell was
especially helpful to me and went over Harca's tendon several times (at my
whining....errrr...request :)  I made sure to have him vetted by her each
time as I had explained the situation to her and wanted someone with a
baseline on him to help me monitor how things were going.  She was wonderful
and he stayed sound and with no heat/fill/anything in that tendon --
yessssss!.  It felt absolutely wonderful to be out in that gorgeous
countryside with my long-time trail buddy, Harca.  I kept thinking, "This is
what endurance riding is supposed to feel like" (sorry Ti, no run for the
Gold, but Glory just the same :).  Guess everybody has pretty much covered
what an incredible gift this ride was, all I have left to say is...."where
can I send my entry for next year?"  :))  Oh yeah, the new truck and camper
were even better than I thought they'd be <G>

Sylvia & Harca