Finish Lines

K S SWIGART katswig@earthlink.net

As much as I hate to enter the fray here, I feel it important to point
out that endurance rides are a race for the entire course, not just the
last 200 yards. While it is more likely for multiple riders to be
“racing” on the last 200 yards of the course than any other part of it
(although much racing also goes on during the first part as well), that
is not the only place that riders are racing.  Given that, it is
totally unreasonable for riders to expect management to keep the race
course clear of all possible obstacles.  It is, in fact, the
responsibility of all riders to have sufficient control of their mounts
so that they can avoid whatever obstacles may arise. “I was racing for
the finish” (the race for the finish starts at the starting line, not
200 yards from the finish line) is no better an excuse for running down
pedestrians 100 yards from the finish line, than it is 5 miles out.
The last 200 yards is no more or less a part of the course than the
other 50 or 100 miles of it.

 “We were racing” as an excuse for expecting everybody and everything
else to get, stay or be kept out of your way is a sure fire way for
endurance riding to be confined to 80 laps around Santa Anita Race
Track.  Endurance riders already have a sufficiently bad reputation of
mowing down other trail users, to establish or even entertain a policy
that Ride Management is responsible for ensuring that the course is
sufficiently clear so that riders may indiscriminately gallop their
horses out of control for the sake of “competition” is sheer lunacy.

All that said, I make absolutely NO comment on what may or may not have
happened at last year’s Posse Ride.  All I am saying is that it is
unreasonable for any rider at any endurance ride to expect any part of
the course to be sufficiently clear that they can run their horses out
of control…either on or off the course.  Sometimes there are obstacles
on the course, and we as riders should be prepared to deal with them.

kat
Orange County, Calif.