Speak up for Historical Applegate-Lassen Trail

Connie Creech connielou@prodigy.net
To interested endurance riders:  Potential Historical Trail loss

Senator Richard Bryan of Nevada recently introduced senate bill S-2273 on March 22, 2000 to establish the Black Rock Desert-High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trails National Conservation Area.  Bryans proposal would protect more that 600,000 acres in a National Conservation area in Northwestern Nevada and as much as 1 million acres more in 11 adjoining wilderness study areas.  The bill has been referred to the Committee on Energy & Natural Resources.

The center-line of his proposal is the Applegate-Lassen National Historical Trail.  While conservation of the area may be needed, these wilderness designations would end the opportunity for endurance riders from around the world of the Applegate-Lassen Historical Emigrant Trail 250 Mile Endurance Ride.

AERC ride history of the Applegate-Lassen Historical Ride began in 1985.  AERC Hall of Fame inductee, Lavone Booth managed the 5 day 250 mile ride from Imlay, Nv to Cedarville, CA over the historical emigrant trail during the Memorial Day week-end from 1985 to 1991.  In 1990, Lavone hosted a one base camp at Soldier Meadows that provided loop rides over the historical trails.  From 1992 to 1995 the trail was not used.  In 1996, also AERC Hall of Fame inductees, Barbara and Lud McCrary's love for the trail brought them from out of state to manage the ride for 3 years through 1998.  In 1999, the ride was canceled due to lack of entries.  The ride will not take place again this year in 2000, because Barbara & Lud have made other commitments.  Any of the endurance riders that have been fortunate to have ridden this ride knows what a unique learning experience this historical trail has given us.  It would be a significant loss to our sport.

While there is many interests that are opposed to Senator Bryans' proposal, it has been reported in the media that conservationists are looking to by-pass Congress and lobbying President Clinton to designate this area as a National Monument through executive order.

It is time for endurance riders to stand up and give their voice in how our public lands are used for recreation, and to continue our sports ability to ride over our historical trails.  Please take the time to write to your Senators, Congress and the President.  Nevada riders can also write to Governor Kenny Guinn and the Washoe County and Humboldt County Commissioners.