Re: Fit horses

Misxfire@aol.com
> writes:
>
> <<  I don't think rides should be used to condition a
>  horse-- >>

Thank the Heavens we can use rides to condition horses otherwise I would be
lost!

I do try and a bit more serious for the longer rides but life being what it
is I have to say that from time to time I arrive at a shorter distance ride
with the horse not quite as prepared as I would like it.  So I just ride a
bit more slowly and the horse two or three weeks later is fitter than when
he went to the ride.

Where I live is pretty flat, no serious hills, so I choose short distance
rides in areas where there are hills, to condition my horses for hills.

Rides will also have a "conditioning" effect on a horse when you move up the
distance, ie from 60kms to 90kms, especially in psychological terms, like,
"hey why is she coming to put that saddle on me again" at VG2 for a horse
who has never done more than 60kms.

Heather
SW France