CHOKE???

Stacey Dickenson Arabsteele
I didnt find anything much on the subject of horses choking in
the archives so Im asking you folks about CHOKES! The horse I am going to purchase choked last week. I wasnt there but I was told that he was in serious distress, lots of mouth and nasal discharge, panic, stamping front feet, struggling to breath. A sedative was administered and he finally got through it. He eats really slow and was eating pellets (which my gulper has no problem with) and I dont have much background history on the horse except that he is 4 and registered. Now a week later he still sounds like he has a huge phlegm ball rolling around in
there. Are there any serious after effects or problems that occur
when a horse chokes? I know that they're more prone to choke after they do it, but of all of the experienced horse people that were around, no one had ever seen anything like it!Im just
looking for some info on the subject.
Thanks to all who reply!
Stacey