Skeered

<< .I was wondering
 if anyone had a serious fall and were afraid to get back on. >>

I had a real issue with being scared to ride which started about a year and a
half ago.
 I was taking lessons on a leased mare - a real stocky foundation type.. need I
say powerful?
Anyhow, she was trained up the wazoo.. except for one bad habit:  Spinning and
bolting.  I was
taking huntseat lessons at the time (i.e. nothing to hold onto), and came off
of her 4 or 5 times in
one month..  thankfully I wasn't hurt badly - I did break one of my fingers..
The gal I was taking
lessons from didn't help my confidence a bit!

What helped me quite a bit was hearing other experiences from other riders..
everyone at some
time or another has gone through the same fear you have, and it is possible to
overcome it.  My situation
was kind of unusual.. at the time, I also had my very green QH gelding.. who is
just mellow yellow under
saddle.  I did a lot of ground work with him (which helped us both) then
started working at the walk in
the arena.  I can't tell you how many training exercises you can do, just at
the walk..  we moved along
slowly, gradually moving to the jog, then (gasp) lope..  but before we loped, I
did take some beginning
lessons at the UC Davis Equestrian Center - relearning to lope on some steady
reliable school horses.
This process took probably a little over a year.. but training my horse
gradually, while gaining confidence
gradually as well probably made me a better rider today.

Even if you have to start back at ground zero, take some lessons on a bombproof
steady horse with a
caring understanding instructor or friend.  I believe life's experiences happen
for a reason..  it's up to you
to make the outcome a positive one!

Julienne
& her Harleyman (greenish around the ears)