Re: RC: Re: RE: Who Rides with Broken Ribs

In a message dated 4/4/00 2:29:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, TOS@htcomp.net
writes:

<< AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!  I just don't understand this...  I live in a rural
 subdivision, and routinely sees lots of people during my rides...  Asking
 someone to please speak to you is like giving them an instant lobotomy...
 eyes go blank, jaws goes slack.... the only thing that comes out of the
 mouth is drool. >>

Yep.  I've found it FAR more effective to simply start up a conversation by
asking them a question--like if they are enjoying their day, their outing,
the weather, whatever.  They will almost always answer in a normal
conversational tone, which is, of course, the object of the exercise!  <g>
But yes, just asking them to say something makes them freeze up something
awful...

Heidi