towing

Dyane,

I have an F-150 (1991) with a 350cc engine and tow a steel two-horse
gooseneck with tack room, 4500# empty according to the manufacturer.
Probably 6500# or more loaded.  It down-shifts on ANY but the slightest
grade, even ones that you would hardly notice in your car.  I would
probably not be passing you on a 7% grade, even though I am towing less.
 The GCVW of the truck doesn't matter so much as the size of the engine.
A 7% grade is pretty steep, and the engine will work harder at 4,000 ft
than where they determine those GCVW figures.  If you add two horses,
tack, and equipment to your trailer then you are probably towing well
over 4 tons!  You need a diesel or very large gas engine to move this up
a 7% grade at anything close to highway speed- regardless of the GCVW
rating.  If it is rare that you must climb a grade like this, then resign
yourself to lugging to the top at a slow speed and keep your RPMs
reasonable.  If your truck spends a lot of time towing in low gear/high
RPM, then I would worry about overtaxing the engine.  I'm afraid the only
solution for this is either less weight or more engine.

John