Re: RC: questions with foals....

At 06:33 PM 3/29/00 -0800, Karen wrote:
I pony her on rides with a saddle-to get her used to carrying weight and especially, to strengthen her back.  What do you all think of this?  I would not have thought to put weight on her back until she was much older; Deb Bennet reccomends to wait until they have full growth.

Also, my comming 4 year old filly (Arab) is about 14.2 barely.  The vet felt she would not grow in height any more, but the breeder, and another breeder claim their Arabs grow until age 10.  Any ideas on this

1)  We used to start young horses in harness & then have them pull things.  First small logs, then tires, then a kind of sledge thing we made.  (The latter two pile up a lot of dirt in front of them and get heavier the farther the horse goes).  Pulling seems to be really great for backs, plus you can have them pull when they're young (if they don't pull too much weight), it teaches them reining & gives them an "anchor" if they get too feisty!  Also gets them used to things flopping around their legs & body.

2)  Latest we ever had a horse grow was when he was 7.  Grew an inch in height, and a halter size.  3/4 Arab, 1/4 Welsh pony.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand
  STRAND ENTERPRISES   www.fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Internet Research * Web Design * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609