Re: Rider/horse training..was--I made a decision

At 08:04 PM 3/28/2000 -0500, Maggie Mieske wrote:
><Having come from the dressage area to the endurance area, the lack of
>riding skills amongst many of the endurance riders was extremely evident>
>
>I am sure that Sue is well meaning here with so many of her comments and
>they are probably true about many endurance riders....but that is why I
>ride endurance.  I am not interested in being critiqued every time I get in
>the saddle.  I learn what I can and glean a lot from other riders, dressage
>instructors, trainers, etc. but (and if this is an excuse, so be it) when I
>have time for lessons, there isn't the money and when the money flow is
>good, there's no time.

I'd estimate that about 3/4 if my education has come from videos and
books...not from lessons.  Yes, I *did* take lessons for several years and
worked with a trainer, but then consider that the education I have is a bit
more detailed than the average rider wants to know...the average rider can get
a ton of information from a few choice sources.

>Perhaps some of us don't have any business being
>out on the endurance trail but I think our riding "styles" as well as our
>freedom for preferences of tack, breeds, etc. are what make endurance
>appealing to the majority of riders.

We're not talking about some esoteric concept...we're simply talking about the
fact that how you position and use your body directly affects how the horse
responds and utilizes *his* body.  It's just plain (as my mentor and trainer
used to call his teachings) GOOD RIDING!  You can do this in any variety of
saddles (providing they don't throw you out of balance), in any kind of
clothing, and with whatever tack or breed you want...and nobody expects
anything remotely close to perfection!! ;-)  It's simply biomechanics and how
the horse learns and responds to cues.  Dressage is merely the step-by-step
process of training the horse (pretty basic concept)...and, for the human,
learning how to use your body to facilitate good use and development of the
horse's body.  And, I am by no means, out there critiquing every rider I see,
nor do I expect any of us (myself included) to ever remotely look like a GP
dressage rider.

>There aren't any requirements in thos
>regards.  Please don't discourage me or anyone else from riding endurance
>because we don't "fit in" to what your concept of a "good" rider may be.

I'm at a loss as to how you could have construed, from what I wrote, that I
would discourage anyone from riding endurance!  What I *want* to do is to
encourage riders to learn more about how their body affects the horse's
body...and what is considered good balance and technique.  I got a chance,
earlier today, to reread Donna Snyder-Smith's article on travelling downhill
correctly at the trot...I think (to lazy to look it up right now ;-)) it
was in
the December, '98 EN.  I had read this before, but I was reading it again to
make sure I understood everything that was related.  Even tho I teach, I'm
still learning...and still "studying" every day.  Where I have the toughest
time is with understanding why someone, who is going to spend numerous
consecutive hours on their horse, would not want to improve their riding
techniques and skills for the sake of their horse.  Just because something has
been done by someone the same way for 10 years, does not necessarily make it
correct.  The best thing we can do for our horses is to learn as much as we
can
about them and how to influence them in the best manner possible -- and
then do
our best with our own time financial limitations, and (as Heidi said)
pathology
that limits our abilities.

>I'm not as thin skinned as I used to be or some of the things you said
>might very well have offended me (ok, maybe they did a teensy weensy
>bit)...I do think you mean well.

I'm sorry if I offended you...certainly was not my intent.

I don't know if I am a good rider or not
>to be honest with you... I am sure we could ALL improve in one way or
>another.  I will never compete or show in any level of dressage, english or
>western equitation...but I do strive to have a balanced seat (hey, I have
>learned to post with my thighs!) and teach my horse to collect himself.

It sounds right there as if you are doing a bit of studying and trying to
apply
it to your riding.  Good for you!!  Just learn a little bit at a time...and
then go practice (and one of the best times to practice is the during the many
miles that you are riding on the trails.)  If you continue to do that for the
rest of your riding career, I guarantee you that you will be a *very* good
rider in very short order...and will continue to improve for as long as you
ride.  One of the reasons that I prefer to teach the group that I do is that I
*tried* showing and totally hated it!  I want the stuff that they're all
learning to be available to the riders that have no desire to show either, but
want to be better riders and get the most out of their horses that they can.

>think I have good communication with my horse(s) (at other times it is
>totally absent....ever have one of THOSE days?) and I rarely come off
>anymore (unless my horse is practicing his sidepasses in an attempt to
>avoid killer chipmunks).

Or, in my case, a refrigerator on the trail!

>Give us poor slobs a break... to each his own.

Sorry, Maggie...I just don't understand where you got the impression you did.
My biggest beef is with people who have a little bit of knowledge (not
necessarily good ;-)) and have no desire to learn anything more.  Or the ones
that climb up on the horse and, just because they can sit in the saddle,
consider themselves good riders...and that they don't *need* anymore
education.  There are some top notch riders that have never had a formal
lesson, but have read and watched whatever they can in an effort to improve
their own skills and knowledge of horse training.  I have read enough of your
posts to know that you are an active learner (so I'm very surprised at your
interpretation)...and the fact that you are reading Ridecamp regularly is also
an indication of your desire to learn and improve.

>:)  The joy IS in the journey...some of us just look better doing it than
>others!  :)

This is true...and I'll *never* look as good as I would like, but I keep
practicing...and studying (and try not to be too jealous of the young riders
with the perfect bodies and the right training from the start cuz, no matter
what I do, I will still be a middle-aged, overweight rider that had her first
horse at age 36 and her first lesson at age 40!)  I know that every little bit
that I learn will benefit my horses as well me so I try to learn as much as
possible.  And I ALSO know that I could study forever and not learn it
all...so
I just take one day at a time and do what I can.

Sue

"If all you can do is what you've always
done, then all you can be is what you are right now."
                              author unknown

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.