LQ trailer configurations

Hi All,
    Having skimmed the "Equus" article, I have a question: in a trailer with living quarters, why are the horses at the rear?  I can think of practical reasons such as loading and unloading, but it seems to me that at the rear they are at the end of the line getting bounced and jounced and whipped around corners more than they would if they were in the middle and the LQ at the end.  Any comments?
Cheers, Laney