When human ligaments tear...

Greetings Ridecampers!

This past week skiing I tore my right anterior cruciate ligament (ACL--the
ligament going over the knee and attaching the tibia to the femur).  Doctors
prognosis is three weeks on crutches, two months before any light riding.
I'm beginning rehab, which if I am aggressive with it, should put me in the
saddle sooner.  Surgery is in my future as this is non-regenerative and I am
way too young to be popping my knee out every whipstitch.

I did this less than a week ago and I can already walk without crutches.  I
am thinking perhaps I had the worst case scenario painted for me.  Has anyone
else experienced this type of ligament tear, and how long did it take before
your knee was strong enough to ride and condition?  Am I in for big problems
if I try to put this surgery off till the fall?  Thanks for any help.

Kristi in Maryland