Vit E

Just got back the Spring blood workup on my horses and was
surprised to find all of them deficient in Vit E. (.3 to .5 when norm
is 1 to 4).  Most were tested at some point mid-season last year
and were fine.  All are on a VitE/Se suppliment (and the selinium
levels are fine).  All we can figure is that it must be the hay (looks
good, green, some alfalfa mixed in) which brings me to my
question.  What would cause the hay to be so low in Vit E?.  Too
long drying in the field?  Poor growing conditions?  Too much heat
when stored?
This is a very good reason why horses should be tested regularly.
This is the first time I have ever exposed a problem but it was
certainly worth it.  Now I just have to get the picky ones to eat
those pills quicker......the goat is being too helpful!
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall