_Equus_ and Slant Loads

k s swigart katswig@earthlink.net

Louisa Pierce (I think) said:

"Equs mag' came last night and it again was praising slants."

I find it interesting that you should say this, since that is
not the impression I got from reading the article at all.  Just
goes to show you how different people will read the same thing
and come away with a completely different message.

The part of the article that I found most indicative of the way
that horses ought to ride was where they were talking about
which way horses stand whn they are loose and can choose for
themselves.  The report was that some horses chose to face
forwards almost all the time and some horses chose to face back
wards all the time, and the "average" for all the horses was
for them to spend 65% of the time facing backwards.

But (and this is the part I find most indicative) NONE of the
horses chose to spend any of the time standing on a slat (except,
presumably the time they spend changing from front to back :)).

The impression _I_ got from reading about the people who did think
slant loads were great, thought so more because it was more
convenient for the people rather than it was better for the
horses...but then, I have never had a problem with horses
stepping on each other in a straight load trailer.  Oh...and
they are generally easier to get the horses in to :).

I'll take a straight load any day because for me, the mechanics
of the horse's leg can help but make me think that standing
on a slant is bad for horse's legs...so, obviously, I was reading
the article with a bias :).

kat
Orange County, Calif.