Re: RC: Re: Dance Line

At 04:29 AM 3/24/00 EST, Tivers@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/24/00 1:15:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>tamarahabberley@lineone.net writes:

><< FWIW I attended a seminar where one of the speakers was a lady called
>Babara Elwell whos been UK Nat Champ, ScottisH Nat Champ, Irish Nat Champ in
>ERs etc . She said she never uses a heart rate monitor during rides, only
for
>vet checks as she belivedsthe rider should be able to feel how the horse is
>when its moving.

>Well, that's a kind of "don't confuse me with facts" attitude. Experience
and
>"feel" is an advantage, but not everything. Is she the current champ? Or is
>she Old News?

I think one ought to have both - use the instrumentation for what it is
good for, but use your senses to know what's going on with the horse.
Either one can tell you things the other one can't.

FWIW, I don't always use the heart monitor - I just happened to have one on
that horse at that ride.  I need to figure out some better way to hold the
bottom contact onto the horse I currently ride - she's shaped a bit round,
and I can't make the girth overly tight or it galls her.  If the girth
isn't really tight, the contact comes out...  Maybe the current girth
(which has an elastic section) will do better.

Another point would be that people with lots of experience at something can
often do things that us regular folk can't get away with - maybe we could
be that way too, once we got to her level of experience, but until we get
there...

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com