Re: RC: re cribbing - what about chewing?

In a message dated 03/24/2000 7:05:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tvanhove@uswest.net writes:

<< they are chewing the most on a
 post between their pens.   >>

We also have a couple of beavers in our collection.  It seems to be partly a
learned trait, as ours came home from a training facility with the habit.
Also, it is an expression of boredom and frustration.  The two beavers are
not chewing at the moment because the mud is gone, and they are being ridden.
 We've had to secure galvanized metal flashing on posts and rails to prevent
them from chewing all the way through.  I've also heard that a mixture of
diesel fuel and old motor oil will work as a discouragement.  We can't buy
creosote in CA any more.

Barbara